I had a Damascene moment while planning this post.
I realized that in the attempts to get up, get going, perform, perfect, hustle and change my life, I hadn’t ever thought about the things I had already done.
That made me wonder why. Why the modesty? Why the, “Aww shucks, it weren’t nothing!” reaction when I have to list all I have done in my life?
The constant bombardment on social media and people only showing their best and greatest has me thinking that if I’m not similarly achieving, then it isn’t good enough.
I know that isn’t true. I KNOW this. So why the negating of past achievements? Heck if I know!
So, challenged by my accountability partner to start a reverse bucket list ( a list of what I had already achieved and done, as opposed to what I wanted to achieve or do) I came up with 10 things I had already done or achieved.
- Married and had a baby in a foreign country.
- Traveled across the world.
- Moved to a foreign country and made a life spanning 13 years.
- Learned to speak a foreign language – Arabic.
- Relearned to walk and talk after contracting Guillain Barre Syndrome.
- Started my own consultancy firm.
- Was interviewed for local tv, a newspaper and magazine in the UAE.
- Started an online magazine.
- Started my M. Ed and MBA joint masters while working full time.
- Homeschooling my 10 year old.
It doesn’t look like much, and there are small achievements that I feel would be too small to matter to anyone other than me. So I left them off. After all who cares that I can make sushi? Or do box braids on my daughter’s hair? Or that I can cut my cats nails without looking like I’ve been in active combat? Certainly no one but me.
Until next I blog,